Retrofit in a Conservation Area

Ullet Road Eco Offices is located in the Sefton Park conservation area, adjacent to Toxteth Park and Avenues, another of Liverpool's 36 conservation areas.   Both areas were mainly developed in the period 1870 to 1908, and comprise late Victorian and Edwardian terraces and semis with a distinctive style, involving ornamental brick and tile work, leaded lights, fascias and wrought iron work.

The area was bombed during the 1941 May Blitz, and the original three storey houses at the end of Ullet Road destroyed.  In their place were built three 1950s detached houses, one of which became the home for Dr Norman and his family.  Unusually for the time, the house was solid wall with steel windows and Tudor style leaded lights, with some decorative brick piers and tiles.

The local conservation office required any new windows to replicate the existing designs, colours and textures of the existing steel windows, with thin sightlines.   A highly efficient timber triple glaze sample unit with stuck on lead lights was rejected.   For an eco office development, finding windows that would satisfy the conservation requirement and be thermally efficient proved to be quite a challenge.

The following suppliers, all from Merseyside, rose to the challenge. 

  1. Gary Heritage of The Lead Window Company, who painstakingly removed the existing lead lights and
  2. Bootle Glass
  3. WDS limited

Being close to a major city intersection, with emergency vehicle sirens and motorists with music on and windows down stopping for the traffic lights, also made accoustic insulation a priority.  Taking advice to vary the thickness of the glass panes used in the units to cut out as many frequencies as possible led to a combination of 6.4mm laminate exterior, a 3mm leaded light window and a 4mm Pilkington Opti-K internal pane.